Wednesday, August 11, 2004

Gifts of Fashion



I purchase about 3 local fashion magazines every month. All of the locally available ones - except Cosmo Philippines. (I really don't need to know "how to please your man", how to drive him crazy in bed, how to blow...his mind, and more.)

Oh yeah, I also once bought a single issue magazine called The Black Book. I was deceived by the simple matte laminated cover with spot UV. It was supposed to be a "model's fashion book" but from the looks of the models, and the crappiness of the fashion, I suspect (1) that all the models were children or relatives of the magazine owner, and (2) there was a typo and the mag was really called "The Blech Book".

My fault for trying to do the good thing and pay for the mag instead of reading it cover to cover on the shelves. Ugh.

Back to the topic, sorry.

I've noticed that I get more and more freebies in the magazines I buy. Sniff and Rub scent samples? That's so 2 years ago. Now I get actual sachets and samples of various products. Whitening lotion, face soap, face cream, sanitary pads (!) complete with carrying cases, and today I got a pantyliner neatly inserted in a cut-out paper jean pocket (from Preview).

What bliss. I could probably stop buying pads every month. :S

Its reached a point where squeezing the protective plastic to check how much freebies are inserted in the magazine has become a factor in determining which one to buy first. And I get a frisson of delight when I discover something I actually like.

The content you say? What do I expect- salvation and enlightenment from a fashion magazine?
Come on.