The Dark Underbelly of Life
as an Employee
- a compilation in progress
01
Looking back at my stint as an employee / peon / slave / worker ant, I get pretty much amused at how I failed to realize that I really do not have a personality suited to working under someone.
Let me rephrase ....I am someone who cannot work for (or with) a person I don't respect. I think I'm a little too much of an ass for that.
________________________
Setting:
An architectural office in Ortigas (R.I.P. - they have since closed down). It is the late 90s. Jobs are hard to come by.
Characters:
Mai - architecture graduate who just passed the board exams - only to learn that being a licensed architect doesn't make a bit of difference in salaries or responsibilities. It's track record that counts honey, and you ain't got it yet. Mai has been hired as a CAD architect. She doesn't like the position, but with the other choice being a CAD drafter at a stainless jeep manufacturing company ("Yup, we talk to the client, and then you get to draw up the design of the jeep, Mai!" "Uh, thanks....can I have a week to think about the job offer? Thank you so much.") she grabs the job offer at the architectural office.
Arlene - may not be her real name (I honestly can't remember), receptionist / secretary. Arlene has been with the architectural company since it was set up. She's seen the company grow from 10 people to around 60 people.
________________________
Mai's first day at work
Mai: (to herself) Yikes, I hate starting a new job. I have to keep my "I am a nice girl" face on and grit my teeth and force myself to smile....even when all I would rather do is have a cigarette or two by the stairwell.
Mai enters office.
Mai: (smiles at receptionist). Hi, I'm Mai. I am starting work today. Is Ms. Irene in?
Arlene: Yes.
Arlene calls Irene. Mai gets tour of office again. Mai is shown her place. Mai looks around....
Mai: (to herself) Shit. I hope it isn't this quiet all the time....
Merienda time
Mai passes by reception area and sees Arlene
Mai: (putting on smiley face) Hi Arlene, aren't you going to have merienda? I'm buying some food, do you want anything?
Arlene: (snottily) People call me MISS Arlene.
Mai: Oh. Sorry.... MISS Arlene, would you want anything from downstairs?
Arlene: No thanks Mai, I've got food.
Mai: Ummm... people call me ARCHITECT Mai. Soooooo.... next time, please say "No thanks, ARCHITECT Mai, ok, MISS Arlene"
Not a good start. But Mai couldn't help it.

<< Home